Thursday 26 April 2012

Why go to church?

A recent Sunday I was on holiday in the north-west and went to the local Anglican church. It happened to be a first rate All Age service with a baptism, communion and some excellent theology.
The greetings reminded us that as we are drawn into God's love we are drawn into all that it good in this world. The whole service then became for me an invitation to live my life for what is good, not least in the service of others. The congregation were warm and welcoming.
I couldn't but help compare this with the car boot sale we passed on our way to church. People gathered round boots of cars waiting for buyers. What is his compared to the community experience of worship with others, whilst enjoined to serve others?
I can remember services of yesteryear when it felt cold and impersonal in church. But this was totally different.
I remember those who have said, I don't need to go to church. I worship God in my garden.
Well, the beautiful countryside of the Peak District has much that reminds of God the creator. But that week in church I knew why God had become man; true worship means touching and being touched by others. That can only happen in community focused on God.

No comments: