Monday 6 February 2012

Sabbatical - Day 21 Sunday Sermon

Readings:
Psalm 104
Job 38
Ephesians 1:3-14
Luke 12:22-34
@ Kingsbury (Orthodox background) and St Peter's (informal, both CSI).

Theme - Creation: Sign of God's Providence

"Consider." This is what Jesus tells us to do. Look around; see the world that God has made. Learn from it.

If you look at a work of art you can often tell who made it. When I was a boy we had a lesson on a famous Dutch artist, Rembrandt. That evening, by chance, my more took me to an art gallery. As we walked in I looked across the room and said, "Look mum, a Rembrandt." I had learnt about the sort of paintings Rembrandt did and spotted the artist behind the painting.

Look around. Look, a Father's work of art! Jesus spent a great deal of time looking - Luke 12:24,27.

The Psalmist has done the same thing. He has looked at the stars (2),the seas (6ff), mountains, (8), rivers (10), birds(12), harvest (14). I could go on; indeed, I think Jesus was thinking about this psalm she he spoke.

Job also is told by God to look at the world around. I the aeroplane to India I could see dawn rising over India as we approached. It was a beautiful sight, to be in pitch black but see dawn in the distance for high up. Cp Job 38:12-15.

Look around.
What do I see?

God is creator. He is the only one who can make something out of nothing. There was nothing; he spoke, and the world came Into to being.

Look around.
What do I see?

The day I arrived I saw beautiful parakeets, parrots, in the trees, provided for.
I see green trees following the monsoon.
I see wells from which water is drawn, that the rains have filled.
I see mangos growing, getting ready for harvest.
I see tender coconuts, full of refreshing milk.

I see a God who cares for you and me, providing for all our needs.

Look around.
What do I see?

Every day the sun rises. Every day it sets. Every day gravity holds us to the ground. Year by year the monsoons come. Year by year there is summer, autumn, winter, spring.

God is faithful. God is constant.

And I think many of you know this. For I also see people who trust God in all the difficulties of life. As someone said to me this week, I have learned to be content with whatever I have.

Philippians 3:14

If God so faithfully cares for his world, will he not also care for you and me (Luke 12:27-29).
Let us trust him. One of Pastor's churches is Sadhu Sundar Singh church. The evangelist Sundar Singh went from place to place with no provisions, trusting God to provide. God only asks some to do that, but we can learn for his example of God providing. One day it was the evening when having tried to preach in a place called Kanyan all the day, only to be interrupted again and again by men who were bitterly opposed to him, he made his way out to a desert place, dropped down hungry and miserable under a tree and fell asleep. About midnight, he was awakened by a touch, and a voice told him to get up and eat. There beside him were two men holding out food to eat and water to drink. Thinking they must be villagers who had taken pity on him, he took the refreshment gratefully and when he was satisfied looked up to speak to the men – but they had disappeared.

Look around.
What do I see?

God provides this wonderful world with riches all around us every day. But some hoard it all up They make lots of money, puts it in banks, do not share it, get drunk, spend it on expensive things. They get very rich.
But one night such a person has a car crash and dies. Where is his wealth? He is a fool. He is rich on earth but is not rich in heaven. When he meets God what good will it do to say he has money in the bank.
What matters is that you have a rich relationship with God. So not envy those who have more than they need. (Cp Luke 12:20ff). We are rich as we trust Jesus and care for others.

Sadhu Sundar Singh told a story:

"A mother once hid herself in a garden amongst some densely growing shrubs, and her little son went in search of her here and there, crying as he went. Through the whole garden he went, but could not find her. A servant said to him, "Sonny, don’t cry! Look at the mangoes on this tree and all the pretty, pretty flowers in the garden. Come, I am going to get some for you." But the child cried out, "No! No! I want my mother. The food she gives me is nicer than all the mangoes, and her love is sweeter far than all these flowers, and indeed you know that all this garden is mine, for all that my mother has is mine. No! I want my mother!" When the mother, hidden in the bushes, heard this, she rushed out and, snatching her child to her breast, smothered him with kisses, and that garden became a paradise to the child. In this way My children cannot find in this great garden of a world, so full of charming and beautiful things, any true joy until they find Me. I am their Emmanuel, who is ever with them, and I make Myself known to them (John xiv.21)." (Sadhu Sundar Singh, At the Master's Feet)

Seek first God's kingdom and all he requires of you, and all the things shall be added to you as well.

May that be true. Amen.
Sugarcane growing (the sap is very plentiful and tasty, and not sirrupy) and tender coconuts. God faithfully provides.
(Photos from last Sunday)

At Kingsbury, Jayaseelan has kindly produced an order of service in English especially for Many and myself - a lovely touch with helped me follow and take part in the service.

At St Peter's I am invited to administer the wafers and hit a record for the number I distribute at a service. There is a tented area. and another overflow area outside and am told there are 500 maybe 600 present. This is not an unusual figure for church life as I discover for myself later in the day. (I had guesstimated 90 plus at Kingsbury, but this was at 7.30 am!)

After the service, time is spent briefly with the Sunday School and the Women's Fellowship, plus the Youth Group. They near after the main service. There is also a fairly large group of (I think) men who are ex-drug addicts and meet together after Sunday's worship. Then a late breakfast in church.

For lunch, a visit to the Church of Jesus Christ at Palavakkam, ECR, (South) Chennai, then on to Injambakkam for a visit to the beach around sunset and supper. A tender coconut with a straw makes a delightful drink after the journey on quite a hot day (- am told summer is coming early).

St Paul's and St Mary's Harlow made a gift around 4 years ago to the church to help towards the purchase of some new land. They wanted to express their thanks. Today they are celebrating their 12th anniversary; they have grown to 300 or so families. The new land is presently being used for outdoor celebrations and meetings such as today, and car parking. 2000 people were catered for; anyone in the community is invited to this Fellowship Meal, whatever their faith. In the evening they showed a film of the life of Jesus in the open air (it gets dark around 6.30). The land has also made a contribution to church growth through providing car parking. More have been enabled to attend. In the longer run there are plans for further church buildings development on the site.

It is lovely to see the land being put to such good use. After a wonderful welcome, a presentation of thanks was made, which I received on behalf of St Paul's and St Mary's, adding that the church would be delighted to see from the photos how the gift has helped make such a wonderful difference in God's kingdom.

No comments: