Monday 23 January 2012

Sabbatical Day 8

Today I completed reading Stephen Neill's A History of Christianity in India. And what a rich history it is. A story of the meeting of empires, beliefs, faiths and much besides, and a history so closely connected to British history in recent years.

I do not yet have much insight into why Indian faith is so vibrant. But I am wondering whether it is to do with the fact that for those in India there is no distinction between public and private faith. This is I suspect true for Hinduism and Islam as well as for Christians.

A misreading, I suspect, of European history has led to the distinction being made in the West. Thus there are for example 'faith guests' on the radio, as if faith is something you can get out of the cupboard as and when you wish, but forget the rest of the time.

But Indian history is different. Maybe Indian history and faith will help me revisit how Christian faith should engage with all of life.

I am also becoming aware of the robustness and grandure of Christian faith as it engages with other faiths. I am not sure how aware we are of this in the UK as we teach and preach.  But this is not so on the world and historical stages. So often our English God seems rather 'tame' (cp Narnia) in comparison.

But I am all too aware that I still see things as in a mist. I may end up having to change my mind completely.

It is though a starting point. My Sabbatical journey has begun.

The photo is of a Misty Morn near Butterley Station, Derbyshire, taken around September 2010. I was at Swanwick for a conference and got up at the crack of dawn to take some photos at and around the station.

No comments: