Thursday 22 November 2012

Today's Poverty

Part of my retreat is about preparing for Advent and Christmas.

Today I read some of Luke 1 and 2, followed by a portion of Mary, Shadow of Grace, by Megan McKenna. I have been pondering how I / the church should respond to the anticipated financial hardship of further welfare changes next financial year. Sadly I anticipate an increase in use of the foodbank.

McKenna tells a story of the birth of a child to El Salvador refugees. Suddenly I realise that the story of Mary in her hour of need is also the story of so many around us.

Strange things occur around the birth of Christ, things that become good news. But all focuses on the child. Mary stores these things in her heart. She is a 'believer, not a knower. She believes in her child.... She treasures words, events, moments in her life...Simple, ordinary occurrences are her path to knowledge. She experiences conversion, insight and ever-deepening awareness and love of God by the way God deals with her, in her present reality.' (McKenna, 63).

I must yet learn yet more of contemplation. This is what Luke puts here at the beginning of his gospel, where interestingly he is also paralleling Pentecost. We learn of each from the other, I believe. Contemplation is not something I have immediately associated with Acts 2. It is however strong in Acts 1, as the disciples 'waited'. Which brings me to my reflections on waiting on God here.

No comments: