Thursday 21 January 2016

Sabbatical - Day 18 - Thursday: Bangalore to Chennai

We say farewell to our wonderful hosts at UTC. They have given us a great welcome, and made us feel really at home. The library is superb.
(This morning's final library session was very fruitful. I read Newbigin's Sign of the Kingdom, which engages strongly with all that I am exploring. His overview of theological approaches to mission in the 20th century helps put a lot in context. He develops on how the church and mission are both works of the Spirit. This is very helpful in terms of how the community of the church and the mission of the church engage with each other.)
On the train I begin to focus on the passages for Sunday. Given the theme of Unity with Love, I think, I have to go with the following options. (I think there may be options for themes and hence the wider choice).

1 Corinthians 1:10-16 NIV
“I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas ”; still another, “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)”
http://bible.us/111/1co.1.10-16.niv

John 15:11-17 NIV
“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant  does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other.”
http://bible.us/111/jhn.15.11-17.niv

Current context to reflect on:
Speaking to those living in the slums, mostly Dalit
Exclusion of the Dalit high on the headlines this week with the suicide caused by alleged injustice.
Slum clearance locally with new housing out of reach of the Dalit who I think are rehoused at a distance. Issues of justice, exclusion and equality
Recent floods in Chennai, especially in the locality where I am speaking.
The extraordinary generosity and joy of this Christian community (which links to the John passage), and indeed all those we have met.

Possible outline
Refer to the wedding last time here - the choice of a bride whether this be the choice of parents or the couple.
The dowry paid to the groom's family
God in Christ chooses us. He calls us all His Bride, the church. He paid the dowry for the bride - his church in the gift of his Son. He paid it for each one of us, male and female. His Son then showered us all with the gift if His Spirit.
I have called it a dowry but of course it is a much more wonderful thing.
He gives His Spirit to men, to women, to boys and girls, to rich and to poor, to all castes and classes.
We are all one. God has broken down every barrier.
As God has paid such a price for us, let us then be generous.
When someone has wronged us, let us give what it takes to forgive them.
Sometimes we take sides when there are disputes.
But there is only one side: Jesus'! If you are on any other side you are not on God's side.

Well, it is a start. Not sure if that all works theologically and indeed in our context. I need to make clear that the dowry image is itself challenged by the cross (dowries are in fact technically legal but I am told that dowries are in fact given in all strands of society), and if it hangs together. Will,pray, ponder and return in due course.

Meanwhile, it has suddenly become dark. We continue our journey back to Chennai and the dinner Ramilla has waiting for us all!

No comments: