Tuesday 26 January 2016

Sabbatical - Day 23 - Tuesday

A thoroughly enjoyable evening yesterday Monday meeting Metelda's sister - whom we last met at St Paul's - and her husband who live close by to the YWCA. We are delighted that her mother was also able to be  there. She too has been to St Paul's. We show them the photo of the congregation and discover that it was taken when they were in Harlow! There they are!



For those who don't know, the mosaic is by John Piper and depicts the moment of recognition of Christ on the Emmaus Road in Luke 24.

Paul and Ginny are now returning home. We have two more days. My work on Lesslie Newbigin is complete until we return home. Today will take an auto to the nearby shops in the morning...


and in the afternoon visit the World Trade Fair with Jayaseelan and family, which we enjoyed last time I. 2012.

Some thoughts...

 1:19 “for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.” NIV
http://bible.com/111/php.1.19.niv

This has been helping me reflect on much that I have been learning and indeed my experience of mission and God at work. Before coming to India I observed to myself that my experience of mission and evangelism didn't tie in with my experience. Too often God seemed to be at work where I didn't expect him. Not that this is bad in itself - far from it. However, my theology didn't seem to fit what I observed God doing.

My thinking needs to develop so that the work of the Spirit is much more as giving birth to the new, as against in the empowering of ministry. Of course, with my head I believe this, but somehow it isn't worked into all my thinking. This time is helping me do that.

Michael Green's comment in A Prayer Journey strikes me: 'Let us never get beyond praying with one another." Prayer is a regular part of every visit here. No home or place is visited without prayer for indviduals / ministry. Many years ago I heard someone speak of prayer 'as easy as breathing'. The re is a naturalness and expectation about prayer in the church here, and a naturalness about sharing answers to prayer. Testimonies given may be for the regular day to day blessings of,life, or they are for bigger things. All are offered to God as part of our service of him. May I learn this in my own life and ministry.

The Trade Fair is very enjoyable with lots of 'photo opportunities'
We round the day off with a visit to the beach...

...and a meal with Jayaseelan and family. We are incredibly indebted to them for all the arrangements and masses of time they have and are giving. We give thanks to God for all his goodness.

No comments: