Monday 4 January 2016

Sabbatical Day One

'See, I am doing a new thing' - Isaiah 43:19 - the verse God gave me yesterday, very apt for a new year and beginning a Sabbatical. Before me lies: space.
Yesterday I watched the beautiful film, 'Salt of the Earth' about Sebastiao Salgado, who photographic exhibition Genesis, I saw some years ago. Genesis, new beginnings from nothing.
The last month it has been so busy, I began to wonder if I would still what it was to relax. I give thanks that the last few days have been restful so this Sabbatical begins with a sense of renewal and space, not exhaustion.
What will I use for my devotions?
,Call to the Centre, by M Basil Pennington, on prayer has found its way off the shelf into my hands. It has been waiting its time for a couple of years. God has been speaking to us about the priority of prayer at church. Now is the time to learn and relearn.
What about the reading of scripture? I sense I need a change from the daily lectionary.
I will use Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) which I first came across on a photographic trip to Lindisfarne some years back. It also has the advantage that it is available online.

Next week I look forward to renewing many wonderful friendships in India and making many new friends.

No comments: